History of Castle Block
The Castle Block was built by Henry Lawton Morrison in 1898. Henry was a dry goods merchant who was a founding director of the Farmer's National Bank and the PY&A Railroad. He also served four terms as mayor. Henry occupied various buildings on Main Avenue before constructing the Castle Block on Center Street. He named the building after his wife, Nancy Pamela Castle.
The redevelopment of this building is multi-phased and include new apartments, renovation of the retail space, and gated parking lot.
Castle Block Properties (an affiliate of Renew Partners LLC), is redeveloping the "Castle Block" property on Center Street in Downtown Ashtabula. Castle Block Properties acquired the property from the Morrison Family Trust, the long-time owner of the property.
CBP is no stranger to developing complex historic tax credit projects of this sort. The same group is responsible for developing the Historic Hotel Ashtabula into Signature Health and owns the building through its 4726 Main Avenue LLC affiliate.